Looking for a meatless, but delicious main dish for Thanksgiving? In a quest to find a great vegetarian option that looks elegant and tastes amazing, here is a Broccoli Cheddar pot pie recipe from Oh My Veggies. Topped with flaky puff pastry, this dish is fairly easy to prepare and takes 30 minutes to prepare and serves 4 people. Even if you’re not a vegetarian, try this out. Here’s what you’ll need.
Oh-So-Easy Cheddar Pot Pies
- 1 c. reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt + pepper to taste
- pinch or two of cayenne (optional)
- 4 c. steamed broccoli florets (about 2 small heads of broccoli)
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, whisked
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine milk and flour in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3-5 minutes, until mixture is thick, continuing to whisk. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese about 1/4 cup at a time. Season with salt and pepper or cayenne. Yes, it’s really thick right now, but don’t panic! Adding the broccoli and baking will thin the sauce significantly, so err on the salty side–I used 1/2 teaspoon. Fold in broccoli florets.
- Cut four pieces of puff pastry to fit tops of ramekins OR simply cut the pastry sheet into four equal squares. Cut an X in the middle of each piece of puff pastry to vent steam.
- Divide broccoli cheese mixture into four ramekins that have been sprayed with cooking spray or an oil mister. Top each with puff pastry. Brush puff pastry with egg wash. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until puff pastry is puffy and golden brown.